Choosing the Right Nursing Home
When an elderly individual, with the help of his or her family, begins to evaluate various nursing homes in which to reside, there are several factors that should be considered regarding the quality of the home and the employed staff. Because nursing home abuse and neglect are alarmingly prevalent, it is imperative that families take the time to do this process thoroughly. It is estimated that 30% of nursing home facilities have been cited for incidents of abuse or neglect. For this reason, families should be on high-alert for obvious warning signs of this behavior.
If someone you love has been hurt, injured, or fallen ill because of the staff or environment of his or her nursing home, contact the Wausau nursing home abuse lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 today.
Tips for Choosing a Nursing Home
By adhering to the tips below, you and your family will be in a better position to evaluate a nursing home:
- Pay close attention to the cleanliness and sanitation of the home.
- Ask the administrator questions regarding the staff-patient ratio. There should be a good balance.
- View the kitchen and ask what safety practices are demonstrated in food preparation.
- Observe the other residents. Do they look happy, well-rested, healthy, and well-fed?
- Watch the interactions between patients and staff. Do the conversations appear hostile or friendly?
- Make sure the home is well-equipped to provide medical care to patients with special needs.
Even if you are extremely careful in choosing a home, abuse or neglect can still occur. When it does, the individuals who engage in this dangerous behavior should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
For experienced legal representation in matters regarding elder care, contact the Wausau personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 today.