Anesthesiologist Negligence and Malpractice
The role of the anesthesiologist is crucial to a smooth and successful surgery. Anesthesia should be applied with the utmost care and attention by the anesthesia professional. In many cases, the work of the anesthesiologist is as dangerous or even more dangerous and susceptible to error than that of the surgeon. Serious anesthesia errors can occur as a result of negligence by the anesthesiologist, which can lead to a horrific experience for the patient.
If you or someone you love has been harmed by the negligent actions of an anesthesiologist, you may be eligible to receive compensation. Contact the Wausau medical malpractice lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 for more information.
Types of Anesthesia Errors
There are three main types of anesthesia that may be administered by a doctor during surgery. These include:
- General anesthesia, which renders the patient unconscious so that he or she will not remember the surgery.
- Regional anesthesia, which affects a significant part of the patient’s body, such as an arm.
- Local anesthesia, which is administered to a section of the patient’s body to numb the area without rendering the patient unconscious.
For these different grades of anesthesia, there are numerous opportunities for error by the anesthesiologist. These mistakes can involve:
- Improper intubation.
- Failing to examine the medical history of the patient.
- Failure to monitor the patient’s vital signs.
- Using damaged or unsanitary equipment.
Consequences as a result of anesthesiologist errors such as the ones mentioned above can be dire or even end in death. Complications that have been connected with the negligence of anesthesia professionals include heart attack, stroke, and brain damage. As a result of these unforeseen consequences, patients could face time away from work, lost wages, and additional medical bills.
If you or someone you love suffered harm due to the actions of a reckless anesthesiologist, you may be eligible to seek compensation under the law. Contact the Wausau personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 for a free case evaluation.