Water Craft Accidents
As the summer approaches, you and your family may consider participating in water sports, such as water skiing, wake boarding, swimming, jet skiing, or the use of other water crafts. While these activities can be fun, they are also dangerous if the engaged individuals are inexperienced, intoxicated, or reckless. Recent statistics report that there are about 5,000 accidents each year involving personal water crafts. From these accidents, there are approximately 2,600 injuries and over 70 deaths.
The legal landscape associated with water craft vehicles is complex and requires knowledge of local, state, and federal laws. If you have been hurt in or around water craft, you deserve to be well represented in court against those who have hurt you. For more information regarding your legal rights following an accident, contact the Wausau personal injury attorneys of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 today.
Safety Tips for Using Water Craft
Jet skis are one of the most dangerous water crafts in use today, more so than boats, kayaks, or canoes. Because they are so fast and easy to maneuver, they can also be dangerous if used incorrectly. The following tips should be reviewed regarding safe jet ski use:
- Never operate a jet ski if you are intoxicated.
- Always wear a life jacket when riding on or using a water craft of any kind.
- Try to minimize distractions wherever possible, just as you would if you were operating a car.
- Turn the engine off when individuals are in the water.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and stay vigilant at all times.
- Keep an eye on the vessel’s oil, temperature, and other gauges. Check the engine to make sure the battery is secure and all cables are tight.
By adhering to the above recommendations, you can reduce your chances of an accident. However, when accidents do happen as a result of another individual’s negligent behavior, know that you can fight for your rights in a court of law and may be awarded financial compensation to help recover damages lost from the accident.
To learn more about water craft accidents, contact the Wausau personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 today.